BRECHFA HALF MARATHON, 10K & 5KRACE GUIDE 2019
ALL runners are required to read and understand this Athlete Guide. In it, you will find information you need to compete at the Brechfa Trail Half Marathon & 10k. The contents of the guide is absolutely need to know for participants. Read it forwards. Read it backwards. Read it sideways. Then read it again!
By the time you get to Brechfa you should know this manual by heart and every piece of information in it should be as second nature to you as putting one foot forward to run. Please note that both Athlete Guide and website is subject to regular revisions.
welcome to the Brechfa Half Marathon, 10K & 5K 2019
It is with great pleasure, on behalf of Tough Runner UK team and all of our volunteers, that we welcome you to the second edition of the Brechfa Half Marathon, 10K & 5K.
Tough Runner UK is committed to providing the best support for security, safety, medical and more. This is a safe and welcoming venue and this race is a fantastic way to showcase Brechfa Forest. It is an honour to host you, and we will do our best to provide you with an excellent experience during your stay. We hope you take away beautiful memories of this beautiful woodland and friendly atmosphere.
The information contained in this guide will help you navigate your race day. Please review the content carefully so you are well prepared.
Please DO NOT SWAP YOUR RACE NUMBER, please make sure that you COMPLETE THE EMERGENCY CONTACT DETAILS ON THE BACK OF YOUR RACE NUMBER, and finally please MAKE US AWARE OF ANY MEDICAL CONDITIONS.
Last, but not least, I would like to take the opportunity to thank all our sponsors, communities and volunteers who have helped make this multi event possible, on race day take a moment to thank them as without them events like this would not be possible.
I hope you enjoy your race no matter what distance you have chosen and we look forward to seeing you at the finish line!
Best of luck,
Adam, Dan & Ben
And the rest of the Tough Runner UK Team
Race day schedule
Saturday August 17th 2019
IMPORTANT – PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU PREPARE FOR ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS AND WE ADVISE THA YOU CARRY EXTRA WATER AND FUEL.
- 9:00 am – Enquiries tent open for check in and any advice or extra information
- 10:40 am – Check in closes for event
- 10:55 am – Race briefing for BRECHFA HALF MARATHON runners
- 11:00 am – Start of the Brechfa Half Marathon
- 11:10 am – Race briefing for BRECHFA 10K runners
- 11:15 am – Start of the Brechfa 10K
- 11:25 am – Race briefing for BRECHFA 5K runners
- 11:30 am – Start of the Brechfa 5K
- 13:30 pm – Awards Ceremony for all runners
EVENT DAY SCHEDULE:
Race day INFORMATION
Byrgwm is two miles north-east of Brechfa village on the B4310.
From the A40 between Llandeilo and Carmarthen, take the B4310 towards Brechfa village.
The OS grid reference is SN 545 315.
If you are using a sat nav, our post code is: SA32 7RD
Download the location map from Google here.
Parking: Car parking is a small charge of £5 per car.
The nearest train station is in Carmarthen. For details of public transport visit www.traveline.cymru
Official parking will be in a nearby field nearby Byrgwm Forest, please follow parking signs on the main road.
Please note that there is a £5 parking charge (please bring cash).
SKIP THE QUEUE (JUST TURN UP & RUN) – If you don’t want to get involved in the registration process and would rather just turn up and enjoy the race you can purchase fulfilment and receive your race pack in the post. PLEASE NOTE: This closes on Mon 12th August!
You can purchase this on the following link – https://toughrunneruk.com/product/brechfa-skip-the-queue-race-pack-via-post/
If you have not purchased fulfilment (above), you can register and receive your race pack in the registration tent in Bargwm (at the race start area). Please arrive early to allow plenty of time to register and warm up.
The race pack includes the following items (please double check you have everything).
- Race Number
- Race pins
Please note that a starting slot at Brechfa Half Marathon, 10k or 5k is strictly personal. It cannot be transferred, sold or given to another person. A person starting any of the distances at Brechfa using someone else’s race number will be disqualified, taken out of the race and denied participation in the race the following year.
As much as we would like to see everyone at the start line, we know that from time to time circumstances change and you have to cancel your slot. Unfortunately, with it being so close to the race a refund or transfer is now not possible. Please refer to our T&C/Refund policy on our website.
There will be t-shirts & hoodies for sale on the day. Internet supply is limited so we may be unable to take card payments so please bring cash.
There will be no bag drop facility so please leave valuables in your car.
Please note the race has a no dog’s policy for the race. Our insurance does not cover our event for the inclusion of dogs / animals on the race route as part of the race.
- Athletes may run, walk, or crawl.
- Athletes must wear their issued bib number in front of them clearly visible at all times on the course. Bib numbers identify the official athletes in the race.
- Folding, cutting the bib number, intentional alteration of any kind, or failure to wear race number is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and may result in disqualification.
- Athletes MUST complete the details on the rear of your bib number. This information could be vital in an emergency.
Athletes are expected to follow the directions and instructions of all race officials and public authorities.
FINISH LINE POLICY
Friends and/or family members are not permitted to cross the finish line or enter the finish chute with participating athletes. This policy will allow each competitor adequate time to celebrate their accomplishment without interfering with other finishers and ensure the safety of all athletes, volunteers and fans. Athletes who choose not to respect the policy will receive an automatic disqualification (DSQ)
The sole responsibility of knowing and following the prescribed running course rests with each athlete. No adjustments in times or results shall be made for athletes who fail to follow the proper course for any reason whatsoever.
Swapping race numbers
I also want to remind all athletes that swapping numbers is strictly forbidden and something we take very seriously for the following reasons:Invalids event insurance.
Incorrect disclaimer details.
Endangers life as incorrect medical details will be on file.
Wrong next of kin could be notified should there be an incident on course.
We all have a lot of electronic devices these days, however as always there is a time and a place for a selfie. Please be mindful that selfie sticks are band from this event and cannot be used at any time, anybody caught doing with be immediately DSQ.We do NOT advise you to wear headphones, however if you must wear them please either only wear one bud or have the volume low so you can hear marshals and other runners around you.
CREW: please be friendly to the crew. They are all volunteers, who have worked hard to give you the experience of a lifetime. The only pay they get – and the only reward they are looking for – is your enthusiasm.
Please be friendly to the race officials (race director, marshals and medics), who take care of your safety. You are most likely to encounter them on your day. Your safety is still our first priority, and we want to avoid casualties.
Please be friendly to the locals. They are totally amazed that you came, and they think you’re completely nuts to be doing this. You are. In addition, they will support you the best way they can in your effort to succeed.
Our photographers will travel along on the race. They will take photos and video of you and other athletes, even when you are exhausted. You may not like it then, but trust us: the photos will be cool, and you will love having them afterwards. You do not need to acknowledge the photographers; just let them do their job.
Please be friendly to our sponsors and partners. They help us keep your entry fee as low as possible.
-Wind proof full body cover – Windproof jacket windproof trousers – Full lengths arms and legs
-Suitable off road running shoes – fell/trail shoes
-Hat and Gloves (Head and hand cover)
Navigation skills are not required the course will be fully signposted
- Marshals and First aid will cover all major checkpoint there will not be a marshal present every 500 meters remember this is a trail race you as a runner are responsible for following signs.
- The course will have a lead and sweep.
- The 10k will have a water station at the halfway point, the half marathon will have three water/feed points. There will also be water available at the finish line.
- Race gels for the half marathon will be available provided by our partners NAMED Sports. Please note that there is limited availability so it is advisable to carry your own fuel.
- Finishers Medals will be given out at the finish line.
- We operate a strict littering policy if you can carry your gels/bars when they are full you can carry them when they are empty. Please only dispose of litter in the dedicated TRASH zones. Anybody not following these guidelines will be DSQ.
- Please be mindful of weather conditions on race day and take note of advisory kit listed above.
- Spikes are not permitted you will damage/Brake the timing matts.
- Any Abuse from runners towards marshals, our sponsors of officials will not be tolerated, and you will be disqualified from the race.
- Your number must be clearly visible at all times during the race and you are reminded that failure to wear your timing chip will result in you being omitted from the results.
There will be a winners presentation near the start line area for the first 3 males and first 3 females of each of the distances. Remember the journey you will be a part of. Any winners who do not attend can be sent their award but the postage cost will be paid by the participant.
LOST AND FOUND
We will gather gear found during the race and keep them at the event hub. We will withhold any belongings in the office for a period of time. Any belongings not claimed will eventually be donated to charity.
Medical crew and race marshals appointed by the organizers may at any time during the race remove an athlete from the race, in case of health issues or risk of injury to the athlete.
All on the day medical services will be provided by Acute Medics.
All on the day support will be provided by Acute Medics. Shaz and his expert team will be out and about covering the whole route. For any reason you cannot finish the race please see a marshal or a member of our first aid team.
Please be mindful that our first aid team do not offer a taxi service to the finish line they are only to be used for medical emergencies.
Should you be running the event and want to carry a mobile phone with you for emergency purposes please add the organisers contact numbers below to your contacts.
Adam Newton – 07766285902
Dan Brown – 07392835941
Ben Gibbs – 07368366039
In the instance of extremely slow runners you may be advised as the race progresses (esp if runners have taken a break from the event for an injury and possibly restarted) that we may have to bring into operation a cut off where we will have the right to ask runners to drop out.
The medical area is for athletes only and family members are not allowed. Overcrowding in the medical area prevents the medical staff from doing their job. For information on an athlete receiving medical treatment, please wait outside the medical tent for updates on your athlete’s condition.
If you have a known medical condition please ensure it is included on the back of your bib in the medical information section and put a red ‘X’ on the front of your bib.
- Please note that if your support team causes dangerous situations by behaving recklessly or violating these rules, you could be penalized or disqualified
- Although we encourage cheering from and shared responsibilities within your club, we aim to make the preconditions for the race as fair and equal as possible for the athletes.
- Excessive support from your support team, friends, family or spectators, that are perceived as giving support or giving unfair advantage, may be result in the athlete being penalized for outside assistance
EACH DISTANCE WILL HAVE PRIZES FOR:
- Open first 3 men
- Open first 3 Women
Just a reminder to please be more weather-proof if the conditions are not kind to us on the day. This is a trail race through the forest, please ensure you dress and prepare adequately and keep well hydrated (especially if the weather is hot).
It’s important that you arrive on race day healthy, fit and prepared. Here’s a top checklist to help get you ready.
- WARM UP ON RACE DAY, arrive early enough on race day for a proper warm up prior to the start, spend between 5 and 10 minutes getting loose. Be sure to do some cardio activity, such as a light jog, to increase circulation and prep your muscles!
- START EASY – RELAX AND BREATHE Don’t race at maximum effort from the start. Relax and focus on proper breathing technique as you settle into a sustainable pace.
- LEARN ABOUT COURSE DETAILS It’s important to prepare yourself mentally as well as physically prior to race day. Thoroughly review the race website and pre-race communication to familiarize yourself with the course. Study the event timetable to plan for proper arrival and preparation.
- DON’T AVOID HILLS – Make sure you include them fun hills into your training. We’re not called Tough Runner for nothing.
Hope you all enjoy the race, we’d appreciate a kind review on our Facebook page after the race.
Adam, Dan & Ben
Tough Runner UK